Ok . . . longer post than I thought . . . but we had such a good time (and I didn't even sneeze once!).
Hannah's girl scout troop went to an Animal Outreach location last week. Originally the girls chose to help the Folsom Feline Rescue but when it came to delivering their handmade fleece blankets, the organization had decided (after 10 years of service) to no longer have rescue services as a part of their organization. So . . . we were directed to a rescue organization in Diamond Springs.
The girls had to decide who/what in their community they wanted to help. People? Animals? Environment? Animals won out immediately! Then . . . what type of animals? It was almost a tie 7 for cats 6 for horses (I think because they had just been here). So the cats won out and that's how we got this far.
During a GS meeting, the girls each made no sew fleece blankets in cream. They had a really great time doing it too! Next came delivery . . . ALL 13 girls made it to this meeting!!! They were beyond excited to go.
There are different sections in the facility . . . some cats roam free, some were caged since they just arrived and were being observed for temperament, health, etc. and some were caged because they are barn cats. Once in the adoption area, they all roam free though . . . lots of room to play. It was clean. It didn't smell at all. The volunteers were so thankful to see the girls and let them play with the cats - helps with their socialization. We brought a huge pack of paper towels and a few cat toys.
1. Hannah, Clare & Ally playing with the white cat. The cat kept sticking its paw out like high 5'in the girls - cute!
2. This cat got in our bag and started playing with a toy.
3. All 13 girls (and a couple little siblings in front). Jordan came too :)
4. Hannah holding a black cat - she loved the black ones for some reason. You can see her fleece blanket to the left.
5. Hannah and Shelby in the kitty room.
6. Laying out newspaper for cage cleaning.
7. Ally, Alyssa & Hannah (my carpool GS's).
8. Jordan playing with a cat. This is the open area where they all roam and the large rolling door is open during the day so lots of fresh air comes in.
9. Hannah and our donation.